Safely in Canada

Well, I am posting this from my aunt’s computer (800 x 600 display is painful!) so I must be in Canada! Yesterday wasn’t much fun, but all the bits that I’d been worrying about went smoothly so I’m feeling much happier now. It’s not really sunk in that I’m here for good yet, it still feels like a holiday even though I’ve been out to buy a TV and some telephones today.

After all the worrying about luggage allowances on Friday evening, I discovered yesterday morning that I’d left all of my medication and my teddy out of the cases. Oh noes! That meant I had to unpack some bits, leave a couple more things behind and re-pack and re-weigh. Everything came in just under the weight limits, which should have been a relief but somehow Da and I still felt very stressed about it all. I think for my part is was because I still wasn’t sure that the airline would be OK with my archery equipment and Da was absorbing and magnifying all of my stress 😦 The bit that really didn’t help was that, five minutes before the taxi arrived, I discovered that I couldn’t find my keys. I’d packed them carefully the night before, but I had no idea where they were now. Why were my keys important?

Because I’d put the keys for my archery box on the ring so that I wouldn’t lose them!

Cue one almighty panic, complete with shouting and tearing of hair, on my part, until I finally worked out where the hell I’d put them. Basically, I turned into my mother having one of her ‘moments’. Please shoot me if I do that again, people. Still, considering what I’m doing, I feel like one wobble insane moment is more than justified. It was all the stress being expressed in one awful moment!

The lovely gmul came to meet us at the airport and wave me off, so he was also able to direct us to our check-in desk. Thankfully the archery equipment was waved on without a hitch and no mention was made of excess baggage. Phew!

Then we wandered up to a coffee shop to relax with tea and coffee for a while (and a croissant for me because I went into starvation mode once the first stress was over). Our gate was called about two minutes after gmul toddled off and the sheer weight (and bulk) of our hand luggage made the traipse up to the gate torture. Thankfully we got there just before they started loading and my walking stick secured us early access to our seats.

The flight was unremarkable, but felt incredibly long to me. We pushed away from the gate late and we were almost an hour late getting to Canada. I did manage to doze a bit for an hour, but Da was too stressed to sleep. Poor man. He also got starved because the ‘vegan’ lunch they served was frankly inedible. Sadly, my lunch was perfectly edible and identifiable so I was fairly well fed. Oops.

The bit of the trip that had kept me in nightmares for days was the entry to Canada. Despite my citizenship documents, passport and SIN, I was still convinced that it couldn’t possibly be as easy as everyone was assuring me that it was. Um.

The hardest bit was customs working out which form to use for my shipping goods. Heh. They spent a long time debating whether I was a settler or a returning Canadian. On the one hand, I’ve never lived in Canada before. On the other hand, I’m a citizen. In the end we concluded that I’m a returning Canadian and one of the customs guys (every customs officer in the airport ended up putting in their 2c) reassured me that I’m entering “by right as a Canadian!” so I’m wonderful. Yay.

Half an hour after getting off my plane, I was walking into arrivals as Canada’s newest resident. Phew!

Mum took a photo of me as I climbed out of the taxi at the house so I’ll post that as soon as I have my own computer πŸ™‚

The house is gorgeous. There is still a lot of working going on in it and it’s going to be weeks before everything is done, but it’s already looking fab. I’m currently just marveling at this concept of having a bathroom with enough drawers and cupboards to keep my toiletries in! I’ve lived out of a toiletry bag in my bedroom for as long as I can remember, always having to gather up everything I’ll need and carry it to the bathroom every time I shower or even just want to wash my face. It’s brilliant πŸ™‚

I’m sleeping in my sister’s room, which is almost fully furnished (no chest of drawers yet), because my room still needs to have the floor fixed. As soon as the floor is fixed, later this week, I’ll be able to set up my bed and new Cheval mirror and sleep in my own room. Sis’s room is beautiful and comfortable, though.

Tea and pie were consumed when I arrived (to keep our stomachs from grumbling too loudly) and then I had a lie down to rest my back before supper. It was strawberry and rhubard pie, historyterry. I know how important pie is for you πŸ™‚

Supper was at Bookdocks with my aunt. This is a lovely restaurant just down the road from me and we sat outside eating lobster sandwiches while we watched the ocean. I’m going to love this kind of life πŸ™‚

It was early to bed then, but not before I pulled the door off the coat closet. It came off in my hand, honest!

Really, that’s the truth. The bolt has sheered off and there is a lot of damage to the track that it ran on (it was a fold-in door) so Mum suspects that it broke when the tenants were here and she’s just been lucky up until now. And then I moved in πŸ™‚

This morning I did exactly what I’d been promising for months. There’s no furniture out there, so I had to stand, but I drank my morning coffee on the deck looking out over the ocean. It was just amazing, beautiful and serene, and I realised again just how incredibly lucky I am.

5 Comments (+add yours?)

  1. Terry
    Aug 11, 2008 @ 08:56:26

    Thanks so much for letting us know!

    *Sends love* Golly, it must be such a relief to be finally there. Hope the stress levels have gone down a little. Love to the folks.



  2. archerygirl
    Aug 13, 2008 @ 12:55:31

    The stress levels are not down yet, but I’m hoping that they’ll go down once the builders are finished with the house interior. It does feel great to finally be here even if it is a huge amount of work!


  3. Jen
    Aug 13, 2008 @ 13:23:49

    Hi Kath

    I can sense your relief in the words of your blog! Congratulations on the successful move, though misplacing your keys was a bit of a dur moment. I’m looking forward to seeing pictures of you on your deck, with the ocean in the background.

    Jen x


  4. Steph Vw
    Aug 14, 2008 @ 00:12:21



  5. archerygirl
    Aug 15, 2008 @ 19:50:56

    Jen: Thank you πŸ™‚ Misplacing my keys was very dur, particularly when I worked out that I’d put them in a special compartment of my bag…so I wouldn’t lose them. D’oh!

    As soon as I have the computer (and have it set up) there will be photos of me on my deck with the ocean in the background. It’s little things like being able to watch the ocean when I pick up my mail that are really lovely here.

    Steph: Thank you! I’m loving it so far πŸ™‚


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: